Why we must Study Foreign Languages ?
* Foreign Language study creates more positive attitudes and less prejudice toward people who are different.
* Analytical skills improve when students study a foreign language.
* Business skills plus foreign language skills make an employee more valuable in the marketplace.
* Dealing with another culture enables people to gain a more profound understanding of their own culture.
* Creativity is increased with the study of foreign languages.
* Graduates often cite foreign language courses as some of the most valuable courses in college because of the communication skills developed in the process.
* International travel is made easier and more pleasant through knowing a foreign language.
* Skills like problem solving, dealing with abstract concepts, are increased when you study a foreign language.
* Foreign language study enhances one’s opportunities in government, business, medicine, law, technology, military, industry, marketing, etc.
* A second language improves your skills and grades in math and English and on the SAT and GRE.
* Four out of five new jobs in the US are created as a result of foreign trade.
* Foreign languages provide a competitive edge in career choices: one is able to communicate in a second language.
* Foreign language study enhances listening skills and memory.
* One participates more effectively and responsibly in a multi-cultural world if one knows another language.
* Your marketable skills in the global economy are improved if you master another language.
* Foreign language study offers a sense of the past: culturally and linguistically.
* The study of a foreign tongue improves the knowledge of one’s own language: English vocabulary skills increase.
* The study of foreign languages teaches and encourages respect for other peoples: it fosters an understanding of the interrelation of language and human nature.
* Foreign languages expand one’s view of the world, liberalize one’s experiences, and make one more flexible and tolerant.
* Foreign languages expand one’s world view and limit the barriers between people: barriers cause distrust and fear.
* Foreign language study leads to an appreciation of cultural diversity.
* As immigration increases we need to prepare for changes in the American society.
* One is at a distinct advantage in the global market if one is as bilingual as possible.
* Foreign languages open the door to art, music, dance, fashion, cuisine, film, philosophy, science…
* Foreign language study is simply part of a very basic liberal education: to “educate” is to lead out, to lead out of confinement and narrowness and darkness.