(Italian Certificate as a Foreign Language)
Created by the University of Siena, the CILS certification attests one’s linguistic-communicative competence in Italian as their second language. The CILS Certification is the first Italian language certification to have applied six levels of linguistic-communicative competence from the Common European Framework of Reference and to have offered specific certifications for foreign workers in Italy.
So there are 6 levels of CILS certifications:
- CILS A1 (Level A1 of the CEFR): children module, adolescent module, module for integration in Italy, adult module
- CILS A2 (Level A2 of the CEFR): children module, adolescent module, module for integration in Italy, adult module
- CILS One (Level B1 of the CEFR): adult module, adolescent module
- CILS Due (Level B2 of the CEFR): adult module
- CILS Three (Level C1 of the CEFR): adult module
- CILS Four (Level C2 of the CEFR): adult module
Through the examination the linguistic-communicative competences and the four basic skills are evaluated, therefore the exam is divided into four sections (oral, written, morphosyntactic and lexical competence, comprehension of written texts, comprehension of oral texts). The exam consists of both closed questions (multiple choice questions) and semi-structured questions (re-elaboration of texts starting from data elements) and open (free development of a topic).
Each part of the examination is evaluated independently, so to pass the exam you must have obtained the necessary grade in each section. If this is not the case, then it is possible to retake then necessary sections.
CILS certifications are recognized both in the workplace, in education and at university. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs recognizes the CILS A2 certification module as a valid certificate of competence in the Italian language to obtain the EC Residence Permit for long-term residents. The exam for the CILS takes place at the University of Siena and also at the Scuola Leonardo da Vinci.